Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Beginning

I just graduated from UC Davis with a degree in International Relations, which is awesome and everything, but the places that I apply to only seek individuals with experience - something that I do not have much of. I go to interviews and do well, but they always end up choosing the candidate with the most experience. So I decided to try teaching for a while. I had always wanted to be a teacher, so I decided to volunteer at my old  elementary school. And you know what, its going great! I took the CBEST test and I am currently in the process of getting my substitute credentials. This coming spring I will be applying for graduate school, but before I do I wanted to gain some of that required experience. 

I decided to put in my application for AmeriCorps FEMA. I put in my application on the September 24th and on September 28th I had received a packet entailing that I had to call for my assessment; unfortunately I did not pick up the packet until late at night and today is a Saturday and have to wait until Monday to call in. Shit.

In the meantime I decided to start this blog because I want to keep a record of the whole process and also because I hope that it gives insight to others who are thinking about signing up. 

For me so far it has become somewhat of an interesting choice because I have been wanting to do something like this for as long as I could remember, but haven't had the chance and now I finally do! I feel great and know that I will be learning many valuable skills that can be used in future jobs. Lastly, it will lead to something greater. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.