These are my thoughts and experiences of my first and only term in FEMA Corps as a Corps Member in the Tundra Unit (team 2) based out of South West Region Campus in class 19B.
Friday, September 13, 2013
Summer Break is Over
We had two weeks off for summer break and I had an awesome break because I did a road trip along the west coast hitting the major cities of Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle. Now back to reality.
We were initially told that we would be returning to North Dakota for our third and final round yet five days ago we were then informed that they no longer needed us there. We had no idea where we would be going and then on Tuesday they told us that our team was being deployed to Washington D.C. for our final round. I am all packed and ready to go and we are cleaning out our van when we have to then attend our last community meeting for transition week, it is at this point that our director informs us that no teams will actually be deploying out. Today Colorado was declared and FEMA has asked our whole campus to be put on standby until Monday. So instead of leaving tomorrow for the east coast we will in fact have two days off whilst the disaster gets assessed and arrangements can be made. Already all of our DSAT teams are remaining behind including two additional teams - eight teams altogether. Twelve teams are now on standby but who knows everything keeps on changing every hour. I can only say that I am really enjoying the complete unexpectedness of everything. I also would not mind staying behind in Denver as it means remaining with a lot of teams (including my favorites), but it is just unfortunate that this disaster had to hit so close to home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.