These are my thoughts and experiences of my first and only term in FEMA Corps as a Corps Member in the Tundra Unit (team 2) based out of South West Region Campus in class 19B.
Wednesday, December 19, 2012
December !
Well Denver CO was definitely not the place that I thought I would be going since I only read about FEMA members who were stationed in Iowa or Mississippi. Nonetheless, I am completely ready to go to Denver. From what it looks like AmeriCorps members are housed in the dorms at Colorado Heights University - which is in the suburbs of Denver. It appears to be a small campus with a picturesque surrounding.
Fortunately it's not too far away from CA (where I am from) so my brother and friends have already promised to visit. I am curious to know about the car situation. I read that at the Iowa base, cars are not allowed as they have not yet created a parking garage for them, but in CO they do seem to have one .
December 19:
So it's been a while since I last posted, but I wanted to make sure that everything was updated. I finally got a welcome packet it's actually being sent in email form now - which is great cause its Eco friendly!
In the welcome packet we are given a link to ones class Facebook (mine class is Winter 19B FEMA) it's a add on group so only the administrator can add you which I find good because only people that are going to be serving with me are on it. There is also another Facebook for those that serve on the Southwest campus. The welcome packet basically answers everything that I had questions for. So if you have any questions don't hesitate to leave me a comment and I can get back to you and if I don't know the answer I could even call or email AmeriCorps (as long as its not about your individual status and stuff)
So far I've been getting a lot of winter gear ready for when I leave in February. I've read from other Colorado alums that it can get really cold in Denver and being from California it isn't that cold here. But no matter what I am planning to pack really light and use space bags as well. Packing light is the top recommendation that I am getting from everyone and from my travels I know it's always true. I just can't wait till I leave, I got an email stating that I will receive my travel itinerary by February 5th and can print out my ticket at the airport or if your taking the train you will be mailed your ticket. Right now I'm just trying to get to know people on Facebook which is working pretty well as everyone is introducing themselves.
I will post if I get anymore emails :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.